Till roll is a roll of paper used to record transactions

Till roll is a roll of paper used to record transactions made with a cash register and Electronic Point of Sale printers. Till Rolls commonly used by cashiers at department stores, supermarkets, or sometimes bank ATMs and credit card machines.
Till rollers can use plain paper or thermal paper. Thermal printers are more cost effective, as there is no need to replace ink or ink ribbons in the cash register. The sound is also smoother and faster, so it is preferred by many people. Till paper comes in the form of a roll mounted on a cash machine, this roll will unravel and move forward when printed. Commonly used for all types of credit card machines and printed receipts.

1 Ply Bond Paper Roll is the oldest type till roll that exists, can be used in ordinary cash machines. Till roll type 1 ply bond paper roll uses ink ribbon to print directly onto paper rolls. This roll will look like plain or copy paper only is lighter weight. Be careful when buying rolls of this type as many manufacturers use low grade paper and tend to emit a lot of dust which will eventually damage the feeder.

thermal till rolls

Apart from single rolls, it is also possible to use multiple layers of paper for making copies. Many cash registers use two layers of paper in their cash register. This kind of till roll has microcapsule coating on the front or back side of the paper. The first layer is assigned to the customer, while the second layer functions as a copy of the transaction for the store. Transaction records on the cash register roll will be reviewed by managers and other personnel at a later date. This roll can be an important record when there is a transaction dispute or concern about theft, because it records all transactions made with the cash register, including things like “no sale” transactions, where the clerk opens the cash register with a special button.

When the paper reaches the end of the roll, there is usually a scribble printed to inform the staff that the tiller roll needs to be changed. Cashiers also often notice that paper tends to curl more towards the end of the roll, because it has been rolled for a long time. When a pink or purple mark appears, this can be a warning sign that the roll is low and the cashier can replace the roll before it runs out in the middle of the transaction.

The transaction details printed on the receipt may vary depending on the cash machine used and it will affect the width of the receipt paper used. Some cash registers only show the amount of the transaction and the total amount paid. While other cash registers will categorize each purchase, or record specific items, using a barcode or inventory number. For more detailed receipts, it is customary to use a wider receipt to accommodate all the information. Most machines use standard sizes, allowing customers to purchase products from several different companies.